How to Discover Your Life Purpose in About 20 Minutes

March 2, 2013 | By | 11 Replies More

Steve Pavlina, Guest Writer

How do you discover your real purpose in life? I’m not talking about your job, your daily responsibilities, or even your long-term goals. I mean the real reason why you’re here at all — the very reason you exist.

Perhaps you’re a rather nihilistic person who doesn’t believe you have a purpose and that life has no meaning. Doesn’t matter. Not believing that you have a purpose won’t prevent you from discovering it, just as a lack of belief in gravity won’t prevent you from tripping. All that a lack of belief will do is make it take longer, so if you’re one of those people, just change the number 20 in the title of this blog entry to 40 (or 60 if you’re really stubborn). Most likely though if you don’t believe you have a purpose, then you probably won’t believe what I’m saying anyway, but even so, what’s the risk of investing an hour just in case?

Here’s a story about Bruce Lee which sets the stage for this little exercise. A master martial artist asked Bruce to teach him everything Bruce knew about martial arts. Bruce held up two cups, both filled with liquid. “The first cup,” said Bruce, “represents all of your knowledge about martial arts. The second cup represents all of my knowledge about martial arts. If you want to fill your cup with my knowledge, you must first empty your cup of your knowledge.”

If you want to discover your true purpose in life, you must first empty your mind of all the false purposes you’ve been taught (including the idea that you may have no purpose at all).

So how to discover your purpose in life? While there are many ways to do this, some of them fairly involved, here is one of the simplest that anyone can do. The more open you are to this process, and the more you expect it to work, the faster it will work for you. But not being open to it or having doubts about it or thinking it’s an entirely idiotic and meaningless waste of time won’t prevent it from working as long as you stick with it — again, it will just take longer to converge.

Here’s what to do:

1. Take out a blank sheet of paper or open up a word processor where you can type (I prefer the latter because it’s faster).
  2. Write at the top, “What is my true purpose in life?”
  3. Write an answer (any answer) that pops into your head. It doesn’t have to be a complete sentence. A short phrase is fine.
  4. Repeat step 3 until you write the answer that makes you cry. This is your purpose.

That’s it. It doesn’t matter if you’re a counselor or an engineer or a bodybuilder. To some people this exercise will make perfect sense. To others it will seem utterly stupid. Usually it takes 15-20 minutes to clear your head of all the clutter and the social conditioning about what you think your purpose in life is. The false answers will come from your mind and your memories. But when the true answer finally arrives, it will feel like it’s coming to you from a different source entirely.

For those who are very entrenched in low-awareness living, it will take a lot longer to get all the false answers out, possibly more than an hour. But if you persist, after 100 or 200 or maybe even 500 answers, you’ll be struck by the answer that causes you to surge with emotion, the answer that breaks you. If you’ve never done this, it may very well sound silly to you. So let it seem silly, and do it anyway.

As you go through this process, some of your answers will be very similar. You may even re-list previous answers. Then you might head off on a new tangent and generate 10-20 more answers along some other theme. And that’s fine. You can list whatever answer pops into your head as long as you just keep writing.

At some point during the process (typically after about 50-100 answers), you may want to quit and just can’t see it converging. You may feel the urge to get up and make an excuse to do something else. That’s normal. Push past this resistance, and just keep writing. The feeling of resistance will eventually pass.

You may also discover a few answers that seem to give you a mini-surge of emotion, but they don’t quite make you cry — they’re just a bit off. Highlight those answers as you go along, so you can come back to them to generate new permutations. Each reflects a piece of your purpose, but individually they aren’t complete. When you start getting these kinds of answers, it just means you’re getting warm. Keep going.

It’s important to do this alone and with no interruptions. If you’re a nihilist, then feel free to start with the answer, “I don’t have a purpose,” or “Life is meaningless,” and take it from there. If you keep at it, you’ll still eventually converge.

When I did this exercise, it took me about 25 minutes, and I reached my final answer at step 106. Partial pieces of the answer (mini-surges) appeared at steps 17, 39, and 53, and then the bulk of it fell into place and was refined through steps 100-106. I felt the feeling of resistance (wanting to get up and do something else, expecting the process to fail, feeling very impatient and even irritated) around steps 55-60. At step 80 I took a 2-minute break to close my eyes, relax, clear my mind, and to focus on the intention for the answer to come to me — this was helpful as the answers I received after this break began to have greater clarity.

Here was my final answer: to live consciously and courageously, to resonate with love and compassion, to awaken the great spirits within others, and to leave this world in peace.

When you find your own unique answer to the question of why you’re here, you will feel it resonate with you deeply. The words will seem to have a special energy to you, and you will feel that energy whenever you read them.

Discovering your purpose is the easy part. The hard part is keeping it with you on a daily basis and working on yourself to the point where you become that purpose.

If you’re inclined to ask why this little process works, just put that question aside until after you’ve successfully completed it. Once you’ve done that, you’ll probably have your own answer to why it works. Most likely if you ask 10 different people why this works (people who’ve successfully completed it), you’ll get 10 different answers, all filtered through their individual belief systems, and each will contain its own reflection of truth.

Obviously, this process won’t work if you quit before convergence. I’d guesstimate that 80-90% of people should achieve convergence in less than an hour. If you’re really entrenched in your beliefs and resistant to the process, maybe it will take you 5 sessions and 3 hours, but I suspect that such people will simply quit early (like within the first 15 minutes) or won’t even attempt it at all. But if you’re drawn to read this blog (and haven’t been inclined to ban it from your life yet), then it’s doubtful you fall into this group.

Give it a shot! At the very least, you’ll learn one of two things: your true purpose in life -or- that you should unsubscribe from this blog.

This article originally appeared at StevePavlina.com.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Category: Contributors, Guest Writers, Ideas, Inspiration, Mind, Resources, Self, Society, Transformation

1. dimitri says:

Great! I’m all in and expect to come up with purposes similar to yours. As should most people. The ones who don’t, probably 4 to 10%, are likely to be preying sociopaths or out right psychopaths.

This is actually a kind of “Who am I?” meditation, that goes on for a lifetime.

2. Simon says:

OK, tried for 40 minutes. Still not crying. After writing a long list of “doing stuff”, my list started, taking you at your word as far as first thing in head was to be written down :carpenter, archaeologist, male escort, ebay seller, webmaster, magic carpet inventor, vegetarian cook……crossword compiler, astral projectionist, cinema projectionist etc etc etc The only thing that resonated was “To live in the present and go with the flow” – but no great emotional impact, only the realisation that I have in the past thought about all the things “to do” with my life and have never had a “realisation”, other than to negate the premise of your article title “How to discover your purpose in 20 minutes” :-) and generally just get on with things….

3. The Student says:

say I resonate strongly with the author of the article’s own result. What if one feels he or she has already found their purpose in life?
    Try again and see what happens? I am absolutely sure that what will resonate with me will be quite similar to what the author discovered. My life and heart are in the arts. This is clear to me, and memories of childhood are poigniant with rememberances of skills and abilities uncalled forth and crushed in the “educational process”. I have always believed in Follow Your Heart and after sixty years of life it is more true than ever. Blessings and discovery to all.

4. halle lujah says:

That’s not a very *personal* purpose, however. Aside from “awaken the great spirits within others,” whatever *that* means, the same message could apply to anybody. I don’t suppose that anyone is going to discover that their purpose is to “make as much money as possible by cheating other people.” (Although that seems to be what a lot of people *think* their purpose is.)

5. Robert says:

I cried after the first answer I wrote down.

I guess some people are slower than others?

My answer was, “I’m here to be as filthy, sthinking rich as I can possbily be.” I cried because I realized I have the first two completed.

6. Think Carefully Before You Blog says:

From a wiser soul..

I find it rather difficult to believe this person thinks his life purpose is unique or in any way a brilliant revelation of soul. The 20 minute exercise is blather to me. Isn’t this EVERYBODY’s purpose? How is he unique? At the end of the exercise do you think someone gets the revelation “my purpose is to be a complete son of a bitch and wreak havoc around me on a daily basis?” And who is he to say you WILL cry if you have the TRUE purpose of your soul…come on! This is kind of like NASA telling us they went to the moon.

There is just one word that says it all. That is LOVE. There…that took 1 second. Done. BUT…to be a loving human being is the work of a lifetime. You already know your purpose, it is the same for all of us…Dr. lawyer, chef, janitor, nurse, mother, father, drunk, hobo, homeless person, teacher, artist, musician…all the same…to do the right thing in the right way at the right time…with love and a spirit of mindfulness. It’s all about love as we proceed on our journey…and the tests of life and living and the hurdles and miseries we face make living in this incarnation a real struggle for many of us…love in the face of difficulty and you are well on the way. This is not a 20 minute drill.

7. Charles says:

Write at the top, “If I could do anything without any possibility of failure – What would I do?

8. Rachel says:

I admit I had doubts about this. My first thought was that my purpose is, of course, “LOVE” and concluded that I don’t think writing things down on a list would put me in a state of emotion that would make me cry. I cry when I’m emotional, and don’t cry when I’m not…

So instead, I spent the past day observing what thoughts made me cry, and now I am convinced that the author is right on this–he knows what he is talking about. There are many things that make me cry, but only one that stirs me up like a wild whirlwind of emotion and makes my eyes change to green and glow like the Incredible Hulk, frightening people.

Stratospheric Aerosol Geoengineering has all but ruined my life. I watch the plants and animals die. I have to wear a gas mask when I go outside. Maybe I have severe persistent asthma for a reason. To whip up my passions and force me from the comforts of effortless breathing that so many people take for granted, to hurt me to the point that I have no choice but to spend my life trying to stop it. So that’s it. Atleast one of my main purposes is to inform people about geoengineering and try to stop it with every last mucus-filled struggling breath I have left. One person at a time…

Thankyou for this article. It is so simple and very good.

9. EagleEyes says:

Tears contain Salts (Crystals) but not when your eyes just water.
    So i’m guessing emotions crystallize certain moments?

10. Ryu says:

I have been doing this same exercise for 42 years and still haven’t arrived at a single thing.

It was then I realized that it is all a delusion. The concept of ‘purpose’ is just that..a concept. It has no reality or validity outside of our skulls.
    Your so-called ‘purpose’ is whatever you pretend it to be.

11. Suzanne Kossoy says: