Get Rid of Candida, Quickly!

February 7, 2013 | By | 23 Replies More

Erin Schumacher, Guest Writer

It’s a challenging problem to have, especially when you’ve been condemned to quit eating fruit and sweets for the rest of your life!  Think about it - eating fruit was NOT the cause of candida, how is it that removing fruits from the diet will get rid of candida? It doesn’t fully fix the problem, instead it removes the symptoms but does not get at the CAUSE of the problem. Your body is trying to tell you something when your “candida flares up.” This is something I talk with to clients all the time and I wanted to share this information with you to help you or a loved one out so they can quit their candida problem for good!

I personally had candida for years and then I learned something quite simple that put everything into perspective, and I’ve been successful at removing the “candida” from my body. (I say this in a relative term. I’ve removed the uncomfortable symptoms. Candida is necessary in the body, but keep reading and you’ll get the full story!)

Lets bring everyone up to speed first with a highly simplified description of how our bodies process sugar.

• First, sugars start in our digestive track when we eat them.
  • Second, they pass through the intestinal wall into the bloodstream.
  • Third, they move smoothly and easily out of the bloodstream and into our cells, with the help of insulin. This entire process is quite quick, usually only taking minutes.

Candida is a form of yeast and necessary in the body. It consumes sugar for food. The size of the population depends on how much sugar is in the bloodstream.  When blood sugar levels rise, so does the candida population to consume the excess sugar. When blood sugar lowers, so do candida levels. Candida is actually a life-saving organism. It functions as a back-up method to bring blood-sugar levels back down to normal in case the pancreas or adrenals fail at doing so.

The problem is when sugar gets caught in the bloodstream (stage 2) and is chronically elevated. The candida ‘blooms’ multiply to feed off the excess sugar, leading to a high candida population at all times. So when one has ‘candida’, they actually are suffering from a high population of candida in the body to feed off the excess sugar.

So, you may be thinking, “I need to cut down my sugar consumption.”

But that is incorrect. Let me explain how sugar gets caught in the bloodstream, leading to chronic high blood sugar levels.

This probably will not come as a great surprise to you, but most Americans eat a diet high in fat. The average fat consumption on the Standard American Diet (SAD) is 42%! Now let me tell you something you probably did not know, the average raw fooder eats over 70% fat in his diet! How? Think of all the nut pates, oil-filled dressings, flax seed crackers, coconut, avocado, nut butters, etc., that are eaten on a daily basis. Once you do the math of your own consumption, you will be shocked as well that your diet is most likely a lot higher in fat then you think. When we eat a diet high in fat, our blood becomes saturated with fat molecules. The fat coats the insulin receptors and does not allow the insulin to bring the sugar out of the blood stream and into the cells. And since fat takes a while to digest, it tends to stay in the blood stream for 24 to 48 hours! So, the presence of too much fat in the blood, even a small amount of sugar, from any source, can result in abnormally high blood-sugar levels. And since all carbohydrates, fats, and proteins that we eat are converted to simple sugar (glucose) to be used by the cells of our body for fuel, the way out of the cycle is not to eat less sugar, but to CONSUME LESS FAT.

How much less? Try getting your fat consumption below 30% in the beginning.

And then aim for below 20%. Nutridiary.com is a free website online where you can track your food consumption and actually see where your numbers are at. Once you get used to it, you’ll be able to intuitively know what the fat amounts of what you are eating without having to plug your food into the website.

The candida microbe is extremely short lived. If you followed a low-fat diet (aim between 10% and 20% for only a short while, the candida problem would be completely gone in a matter of a few days. It worked for me. It’s worked for my clients.

Try it for yourself!

Erin Schumacher is a health and nutrition theorist and healer, and shares her love of yoga and self-healing with her students and personal coaching clientele. Please visit her excellent website at, www.ErinSchumacher.net.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Category: Body, Contributors, Earth, Environment, Food, Guest Writers, Healthcare, Natural Health, Resources, Self, Society

1. Al Smith says:

What are candida’s symptoms?

2. Arthur says:

Hi,

were you implying that some people on a raw food diet eat way too much fat and thus get candida?

(Although…. this seems to be aimed at people who have no clue about proper nutrition, and eat mostle the SAD diet [ it is sad indeed ;-) ]

Hmm, it’s just that comparison of raw fooders eating up to 70% fat which threw me a bit off…

Otherwise a very good article!

• Erin says:

Think of the average raw food diet:
      nuts, seeds, nut butters, pates, flax seed crackers, chia seeds, etc….

And when you consider that salads, juices and smoothies have little to no fat….

Take a salad – perhaps it is 5% fat with the fruits and vegetables but because the salad is so calorically low – add just one tablespoon of olive oil and all of a sudden your salad is 80% fat! It’s really easy for raw fooders to eat way too much fat simply because veggies are so calorically low. One must think in regards to the proportion of calories to fat ;)

3. Claire says:

That is just bad advice. We need HEALTHY fats.

• Erin says:

Absolutely Claire – we DO need healthy fats. But too much of a good thing is still too much :) The problem with society is that in the western world many people are eating bad fats. They are trans-fats and absolutely horrible and detrimental to the health of your cells. Good fats in moderation is absolutely HEALTHY to your body and are the building blocks of your cells. :)

4. Peter says:

A year and a half ago I went to my MD asking for advice/help with weight loss. My blood glucose levels were elevated as was my cholesterol, my weight was well into obesity. He suggested a low carb diet such as south beach. He stated to me that the carbs combined with the fat was what was adding to my weight and worsening blood labs. He told me that if I kept at the low carb diet for a year not only would I lose weight by my labs would improve. I started the first 2 weeks by eliminating the carb intake completely (very hard but I did it) Then I found a wheat bread that had a total of 6 carbs per slice very good for me, a low carb pasta again good for me. I was very good for about 6-7 months and lost about 30 pounds. I fell off the wagon for a short time but a year after my visit with my MD I went back for a physical. My weight had indeed dropped AND my labs had decreased to near normal, cholesterol was very good and glucose levels had dropped to safer levels. That being said I got re-invigorated and started back at it. I have found that I can eat more meats with less carbs and I become comfortably full without the bloated feeling, I have dropped 50= pounds since the beginning of this way of eating, without losing the fatty foods but skimping on the carbs. So what has this article told me? No one in science knows everything and there is a lot of good info out there and you have to find what works for you. For me eat fatty foods which satisfy me and reduce the carb intake and my blood work will be good and my weight will be good, keep doing this until it stops working then find a new approach.

5. Not true. Eat real food and plenty of healthy fats with minimal sugar intake (no grains). People have severely damaged and unhealthy guts and digestive systems. Until that is addressed all the “diets” in the world will not help you….

6. Bri says:

Good article for beginners. I’ve been on a veggie diet for 5 months and that includes coconut oil and avocados. Anything vegetable is good for you and their natural fats are good for you too. People that try to make money from advising a small amount of veggies here, and only this or that fruit or this type of veggie is good for you, and that one must have my juicer,…well, I advise that people eat veggies and some fruit to stop candida overgrowth. Also clean out your GI system with woodworm and cloves. Take vitamin B stress. Just stay away from sugars, meats, processed foods for 2 months, and try to never again let these processed foods be a part of your diet.

7. hp says:

I knew they were lying about butter 50 years ago.
    Milk is the king of foods and nothing even comes close.

In a society of cheaters and the cheated, the authorities lie(d) about damn near everything)

8. Peter Pan says:

Looks like this article is sponsored by the Rockefeller Foundation. Eat less meat. Don’t eat raw food. Guys, decide for yourself. Watch a documentary entitled “The Perfect Human Diet”. Also watch Dr. Wallach on youtube and Ben Fuchs. Make up your mind for yourself. Oh, nearly forgot. Another documentary: “Fat, Sick & Nearly dead”. Oh, one more.
    Simply Raw: Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days

• Erin says:

Hey Peter

Actually the article wasn’t meant at all to say “Eat less meat and don’t eat raw food.” I myself eat mainly a raw food diet. Yes, I’m a vegetarian but that isn’t to say that it’s the route for everyone.

I believe that each person is unique in what works for them and their body. We must all learn to listen to our bodies – but most of us do not.

In regards to fats – yes we need healthy fats. But we do not need 70% of our diet to be made of healthy fats. Too much of a good thing is still too much.

9. Paul says:

Is there any permanent cure for Rosacea??????Tried so many and nothing worked

10. Krister says:

Learn about the Swedish LCHF-diet, or rather lifestyle. The name stands for Low Carbonate High Fat, and the diet have even become an officially recognited method to treat diabetes here in Sweden. The diet have become so popular here, that Sweden from time to time the last years, have run out of butter (we had to import from Finland). The most popular site on the LCHF-diet in Sweden now is this:

The Diet Doctor

11. david says:

Candida is far from short lived when it turns from the yeast to the fungal form then the real trouble starts. It sets roots down in the intestines causing leaky gut syndrome, and the candida is then free to roam about the blood stream. Some good info, but too simplistic for those truly suffering.

12. SteveB says:

Candida IS an important flora of the Lower intestine and creates symptoms of bloating and discomfort in the ‘stomach’ when antibiotics kill off the bacteria in the gut which stops Candida from entering there. It feeds on sugars and yeasts and will react anytime you eat such things. If left unchecked it will eventually eat through the stomach wall and then you have REAL problems. There IS a remedy for this uncomfortable ailment, but you won’t hear it from any doctors. I will however guarantee that it will work. Get some “Pure Gum Turpentine” (PGT) made from the Turpentine “Tree” at your local hardware shop. Get some regular sugar cubes and put 4 at a time onto a saucer and add 1 tbspn of PGT so they can soak it up. Take one cube after breakfast and one cube before bed for one week. Only make 4 at a time as the PGT will evaporate over time. This a VERY old remedy given to me by a retired Biochemist. The process should be repeated after each time you take a course of antibiotics or experience prolonged symptoms. This works every time but is NOT medically approved, so DON’T tell them.

13. Suzan says:

THE LIVER PUTS THE FAT IN YOUR BLOOD STREAM AND SUGAR IS CONVERTED TO FAT FOR ENERGY. WHAT KIND OF HOAX IS THIS???????

14. Cindy says:

Low carb diets help to “starve out” candida. Simply by keeping your blood sugar low much of the candida will die due to lack of high glucose in the blood stream. That is how low carb helps.

Probiotics such as acidopholus from yogurt also help to crowd out the candida. If healty bacteria like acidopholus is low in your body the yeast can get out of control kind of like how deer populations become too high without natural predators to keep them contained.

Eating fresh lemons also helps to control candida. Drinking (sugar free) lemonade will help. Same with apple cider vinegar.
    Pau d” arco is simply a part of a tree bark. It does help to kill yeast, but is expensive. There are cheaper ways to help. The olive oil, grape seed extract, olive leaf all help by reducing carb intake which therefore starves out the yeast.

It all boils down to starving out the yeast or crowding it out with healthy bacteria. Yeast love sugar. If you drink sweet drinks, eat high starches and carbs, you will have more yeast than if you eat lower glycemic choices.

CandidaLab

15. duderonomy says:

So what about consumption of the “antifungal oils” like coconut oil etc? Are particular “bad fats” more responsible for this phenomena or is it just fat in general? What about my fish oil supplements?

16. Thrush is a condition that is caused by the species of yeast called candida. While it can be found in both genders, the symptoms experienced will vary. Typically, you will find thrush as an oral infection, or an infection of the skin.