Garlic Proven 100 Times More Effective Than Antibiotics, Working In A Fraction of The Time

January 29, 2013 | By | 21 Replies More

April McCarthy, Prevent Disease

A significant finding from Washington State University shows that garlic is 100 times more effective than two popular antibiotics at fighting disease causing bacteria commonly responsible for foodborne illness.

Their work was published recently in the Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy a follow-up to the author’s previous research in Applied and Environmental Microbiology which conclusively demonstrated that garlic concentrate was effective in inhibiting the growth of C. jejuni bacteria.

Garlic is probably nature’s most potent food. It is one of the reasons people who eat the Mediterranean diet live such long healthy lives. Garlic is also a powerful performer in the research lab.

“This work is very exciting to me because it shows that this compound has the potential to reduce disease-causing bacteria in the environment and in our food supply,” said Xiaonan Lu, a postdoctoral researcher and lead author of the paper.

One of the most interesting of the recent findings is that garlic increases the overall antioxidant levels of the body. Scientifically known as Allium sativa, garlic has been famous throughout history for its ability to fight off viruses and bacteria. Louis Pasteur noted in 1858 that bacteria died when they were doused with garlic. From the Middle Ages on, garlic has been used to treat wounds, being ground or sliced and applied directly to wounds to inhibit the spread of infection. The Russians refer to garlic as Russian penicillin.

“This is the first step in developing or thinking about new intervention strategies,” saif Michael Konkel, a co-author who has been researchingCampylobacter jejuni for 25 years.

“Campylobacter is simply the most common bacterial cause of food-borne illness in the United States and probably the world,” Konkel said. Some 2.4 million Americans are affected every year, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, with symptoms including diarrhea, cramping, abdominal pain and fever.

The bacteria also are responsible for triggering nearly one-third of the cases of a rare paralyzing disorder known as Guillain-Barre syndrome.

Diallyl disulfide is an organosulfur compound derived from garlic and a few other genus Allium plants. It is produced during the decomposition of allicin, which is released upon crushing garlic

Lu and his colleagues looked at the ability of diallyl sulfide to kill the bacterium when it is protected by a slimy biofilm that makes it 1,000 times more resistant to antibiotics than the free floating bacterial cell. They found the compound can easily penetrate the protective biofilm and kill bacterial cells by combining with a sulfur-containing enzyme, subsequently changing the enzyme’s function and effectively shutting down cell metabolism.

The researchers found the diallyl sulfide was as effective as 100 times as much of the antibiotics erythromycin and ciprofloxacin and often would work in a fraction of the time.

Two previous works published last year by Lu and WSU colleagues in Applied and Environmental Microbiology and Analytical Chemistry found diallyl sulfide and other organosulfur compounds effectively kill important food-borne pathogens, such as Listeria monocytogenes and Escherichia coli O157:H7.

“Diallyl sulfide may be useful in reducing the levels of the Campylobacterin the environment and to clean industrial food processing equipment, as the bacterium is found in a biofilm in both settings,” Konkel said.

“Diallyl sulfide could make many foods safer to eat,” said Barbara Rasco, a co-author on all three recent papers and Lu’s advisor for his doctorate in food science. “It can be used to clean food preparation surfaces and as a preservative in packaged foods like potato and pasta salads, coleslaw and deli meats.”

“This would not only extend shelf life but it would also reduce the growth of potentially bad bacteria,” she said.

The natural substance could also be derived without artificially introducing harmful chemicals to disruptive its disease-reducing abilities.

Ironically, many researchers think that antibiotics may be just one of several factors that contribute to intestinal blockage in young children.

April McCarthy is a community journalist playing an active role reporting and analyzing world events to advance our health and eco-friendly initiatives.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Category: Earth, Food, Healthcare, Natural Health, Science, Self, Society, Time & Space

1. Emmett G. says:

So glad to see this. I’ve used garlic for 20 years, started when I had candidiasis. It’s quite effective on candida albicans, as well as fungus. Works great for athlete’s foot, vaginal yeast infections, etc. as it actually cures the condition. I use it in the garden for powdery mildew, rust and every other fungus that attacks plants. It’s a miracle plant!
    I’ve taken garlic oil everyday for 20 years. It also lowers blood pressure.

• windy says:

Have you tried it on late blight of tomatoes ?

• Leigh says:

Hi, That’s great to hear – I’m about to start taking garlic for candida and athletes foot and fungus – how did you take it – how much and for how long? Great to hear it has worked!!!

2. Carlos says:

A spanish proverb:
    “Tu hijo muerto y el ajo en el huerto”
    “Your son dead and the garlic in the garden”

3. billy jo mama says:

I like to bathe in garlic on a regular basis. I like to get it all in my pores. Then I go out to the strip clubs. Nobody asks you for a lap dance when you bathe in garlic brother. I can be left alone to ogle over the big breasted women. Some of them don’t even bother me for tips!

4. steve says:

I can attest…
    Used to have severe athlete’s foot, over the counter meds didn’t help much, fungus came right back.
    I read about an experiment where garlic oil was added to a petrie dish that contained various fungi and it wiped them out in short order. I figured it should also work on athlete’s foot so I crushed and finely chopped a couple of garlic cloves, into which I added a few drops of olive oil. Smeared the paste between my toes and after a few days treatment my athlete’s foot was GONE! Every now and then I get a flare-up, but I just give it the garlic and oil treatment and it stops the fungus on contact. I’m sure the manufacturers of the the ‘fast-actin’ athlete’s foot medicine so often advertised on TV by that obnoxious, washed up, loud-mouthed ex-football player would definitely NOT want you to know about this natural remedy…

5. MMSAM says:

GARLIC – - ANGEL FOOD
    I am going to be 70 years old this spring. I have eaten garlic right
    from the garden (unwashed) since I was (by my memory) 5 years old. I
    have never been to see a doctor in my life. Note; I still eat garlic to-day, about a head a week, it is still from the garden but now washed.Check Linus Pauling’s research. Oh by the way it does not stink that much.Sick people stink more.

6. user says:

The trouble with garlic is that it can trigger ectopic heart beats after a few days of use (raw fresh garlic).

7. Jimmy says:

I had this funny feeling Garlic warded off evil.I do hope Monstero leave it alone……..Their reply…NO!

8. Bruno SELLIN says:

Well, with that new link http://www.parolesvivantes.com/sante_aliments_toxiques.htm#ail we say that garlic is not a good think for the body !
    So who say the right ?

I think garlic is not for you in a constant diet but perhaps like drugs. The best think is to put away from your table.

• terry says:

There is no known toxicity levels for garlic, this sounds like propaganda to me, check the other 1000s of articles about benefits/ side effects of garlic ect.

9. marie says:

Hi, that is good news. I wish the link of the study was listed or at minimum the name of the authors and the year of publication. The source of this article is from another website who wrote an article in May 2012. I think this is the reference of the study ? Xiaonan Lu, Derrick R. Samuelson, Barbara A. Rasco, and Michael E. Konkel Antimicrobial effect of diallyl sulphide on Campylobacter jejuni biofilms J. Antimicrob. Chemother. (2012) 67(8): 1915-1926 first published online May 1, 2012 doi:10.1093/jac/dks138
    The link of the study online is this one : http://jac.oxfordjournals.org/content/67/8/1915

10. threenorns says:

you can use garlic in your cooking till the cows come home, it’s not going to be any good at all: it’s allicin that is the effective compound and it’s destroyed by cooking, drying, and processing.

this means it’s only fresh RAW garlic that has antibacterial properties – cooked garlic, dried garlic, garlic powder, and garlic oil are useless.

11. Donna says:

Whenever I get an Earache I place a Clove of garlic in my ear and it does draw out the infection – Recently found a Naturopathic Product that is a combination of Mullein and Garlic and use this on occasion – …,,

Link Found Between Food Allergies and Farm Antibiotics

Link Found Between Food Allergies and Farm Antibiotics

Food allergies affect an estimated 15 million Americans, including one in 13 children. Statistics indicate something strange is afoot, as food allergies in children rose by 50 percent between 1997 and 2011 alone.

Similarly, in Great Britain one in three people are allergic to something, be … More

September 18, 2014 | By | Reply More
Drop Out and Simplify Your Life

Drop Out and Simplify Your Life

I was thinking about this very subject and sat down to put some notes together when I stopped to moderate comments on the site. And here was this synchronistic and very wise comment from Soliel:

Despite all the fear-mongering out there, many have remained … More

September 17, 2014 | By | Reply More
Coconut Water is One of the Greatest Nutritional from Nature

Coconut Water is One of the Greatest Nutritional from Nature

Karen Foster, Prevent Disease

The first documented use of coconut water dates back just a few centuries, however it’s safe to assume humans have been enjoying this supreme hydrator as long as we’ve been around coconut palms. Here’s why young coconut water has one of the highest sources … More

September 17, 2014 | By | 1 Reply More
How Monsanto and Big-Ag are Fighting Back Against Anti-GMO Activism

How Monsanto and Big-Ag are Fighting Back Against Anti-GMO Activism

Between 2012 and mid-2014, Monsanto and the Grocery Manufacturers Association (GMA) successfully blocked GMO labeling legislation in over 30 states, at a price tag of more than $100 million.

These funds were received from the 300+ members of the GMA, which include chemical/pesticide, GE seed, and … More

September 16, 2014 | By | Reply More
A Letter To My Siblings

A Letter To My Siblings

A note from Zen: An answer to a question from awakening siblings about how have I kept up with world and American events being outside the US so many years. This is part of a discussion on world topics that we’ve been debating including More

September 13, 2014 | By | 5 Replies More

7 Ways Cannabis Legalization Has Already Benefited Colorado

7 Ways Cannabis Legalization Has Already Benefited Colorado

Jeff Roberts, Collective-Evolution

January 1st 2014 saw the opening of the very first cannabis shop in Colorado as the cultivation, manufacture and sale of the controversial plant became fully legalized. Since then, the state has seen a lot of promising results.

Laura Pegram of Drugpolicy.org wrote in her … More

September 16, 2014 | By | Reply More
Sweden Recycling 99 Percent Of Garbage, Edging Closer To Zero-Waste

Sweden Recycling 99 Percent Of Garbage, Edging Closer To Zero-Waste

April McCarthy, Prevent Disease

There’s a revolution happening in Sweden right now. Dubbed the “recycling revolution,” the Scandinavian country now recycles 99 percent of their garbage, edging closer to a zero-waste lifestyle, nationwide.

Wouldn’t it be great if no household waste was wasted? If each and every item … More

September 4, 2014 | By | 6 Replies More
Food as Medicine: How One Hospital Is Using Organic Produce to Help Heal Patients

Coach Mark Smallwood, EcoWatch

In 431 B.C. Hippocrates said, “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”

More than 2500 years later, we are inundated with advertisements boasting the latest, greatest cure-all super drug. From a young age, we learn that it doesn’t matter how or … More

August 23, 2014 | By | 4 Replies More
As Keystone XL Dominoes Fall, Time to Arrest Tar Sands Industry

As Keystone XL Dominoes Fall, Time to Arrest Tar Sands Industry

, EcoWatch

We’ve got this.

Thanks to the courageous and indefatigable efforts of pipeline fighters everywhere, the tide has finally turned on Keystone XL. As it becomes increasingly clear that Keystone XL’s northern leg is not going through, it is time to set our sights … More

August 4, 2014 | By | 2 Replies More
Seizing Control of Our Destinies

Seizing Control of Our Destinies

Julian Rose, Contributor

In 1381, at a time of great repression for the British agricultural work force, an extraordinary people’s revolutionary named Wat Tyler sprang to his feet and announced, “England should be a nation of self governing communities,” to which he added, “ No lord shall exercise … More

July 28, 2014 | By | 5 Replies More