As mainstream science starts to more-openly recognize the effectiveness of practices such as yoga, meditation, acupuncture and so forth, more of us are learning that we are energetic beings, who must consider how other energies affect our well-being. As believed from an early age by Taoist Masters in China, and later proven by quantum physics, we are all connected; even through the outer reaches of space and time, we are all connected to the “Way” of the cosmos, the Tao.
With this knowledge, it is up to each of us to decide if we want to connect to the flow of this loving energy that surrounds us, or do we ignore it and close ourselves off from it. The cosmic energy will keep flowing, without judgment, either way. If you decide that yes, you want to invite this positive energy into your life and bathe in its abundance, then here are some ideas on how to rekindle your relationship with the cosmos.
1. Assess the Level of Negative Energy within You
Sometimes we don’t even realize how besieged we are with negativity. This can be self-perpetuating and attract wrong situations and wrong people into our lives. To help you assess your level of negative energy, below is a quiz from Christie Sheldon from Loveorabove.com. Find a quiet space and look inside. It all begins with self-awareness.
- Do you complain? All the time or just sometimes?
- Do you often discuss what’s wrong in the world more than what’s right? This includes the ‘terrible’ weather, ‘horrible’ traffic, ‘idiotic’ government, ‘lousy’ economy, ‘stupid’ in-laws, etc.
- Do you criticize? All the time or just certain people?
- Are you attracted to drama and disaster (can you unglue yourself from the TV when there’s a news story of a disaster and can you avoid getting involved in the lives of dysfunctional celebrities?)
- Do you blame? All the time or just certain situations?
- Do you believe that you have no control over most of your results?
- Do you feel like a victim? Do you talk about people doing things to you?
- Are you grateful for what is or will you be grateful when things finally start going right for you?
- Do you feel like things are happening to you? Or do you feel that they are happening through you?
It takes courage to be honest to yourself and accept if you are overly negative. You create your life experiences. The cosmic energy around you will guide you through these experiences, but it is up to you to experience them in gratitude. Along the way, being grateful for what is happening, both the good and the bad, will invite more positive energy into your life.
There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative. – W. Clement Stone
2. Limit Ego Self-talk that Criticizes and Doubts
Most of us, at some point in life, struggle with the negative thinking and judgment of the self-talking ego-mind – “Nothing good will ever happen to me,” “I could never do that,” “I’ll never find the right job.” At times this ego-mind is loud. Sometimes it can even be harmful – “I’m a horrible person,” “I don’t deserve happiness” – filling you with misguidance and doubt. Without limiting this negative self-talk, you will disengage from the ever-present flow of Qi – cosmic energy – that is available to you. You must take control of your thinking, calm and rebalance your thoughts and reaffirm your bond with the cosmos.
3. Use Affirmations to Free Yourself from Negativity
At times, we have to motivate ourselves daily to face negativity and address its sources – the ego-mind, stressful lives, the crazy world, etc. Here are some ideas for daily affirmations – you can learn the ones that resonate with you and ones that are most relevant to your life, or think of some of your own. Keep them written, visible and say them out loud.
- What other people say about me is their problem, not mine.
- I am free to be me.
- Life isn’t perfect, but I sure is great.
- It’s okay to have down days.
- Even when I’m struggling, I have so much to be grateful for.
- Every experience is just another important lesson.
- Not everything is meant to stay.
- Being wrong is the first step to being right.
- I do not need to hold on to what’s holding me back.
- My happiness today is simply the result of my thinking.
- Who I spend quality time with matters.
- Drama and judgments are a waste of perfect happiness.
- Most people are judging me far less than it seems.
- I can make the world a happier place.
- The work is worth it.
“Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change.” ― Wayne W. Dyer
4. Release All Restrictions of the Body/Mind/Spirit
The energies of the Sun, the Earth, the Galaxy and the Cosmos influence us through higher dimensional subtle energies on the physical, etheric and spiritual levels. It is easy for us to get stuck in the physical plane and believe that all that matters is what we experience physically. Yet, our energetic field and our spirit are also communicating with cosmic energy.
By remembering this connection to the greater cosmos in each of the layers of the True Self, encased in our human form, we help open up the line of communication with higher energies of the Universe. And in this, we experience a deeper transformation on all levels – in body, mind, spirit and soul. Practices such as yoga, tai chi and qi gong, although typically used by people for exercise and lowering stress, can help you realize the True Consciousness beyond the fear-based 3D world. Additionally, specific practices that focus on opening up the heart chakra energy center, Anahata, are effective at increasing the heart’s capability to assimilate cosmic energy. These include different types of concentration techniques focused on the heart and reciting the Lotus Sutra.
“Occasionally in life there are those moments of unutterable fulfillment which cannot be completely explained by those symbols called words. Their meanings can only be articulated by the inaudible language of the heart.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
5. Cleanse Your External Space
Much of our effort to connect with the cosmic energy flow requires inner focus, some quiet time of reflection and solitude in a safe environment. Here is where cleansing our external living space of negative and stale energy becomes just as important as clearing our inner space.
You often hear ideas such as de-clutter, let go of unneeded stuff and rearrange your furniture to create more space. This is both practical and effective in helping you feel lighter and more positive.
You could consider putting a little more effort into the cleansing process by smudging the areas where you spend most of your time, such as your home, office and car. Smudging allows you to clean out your energetic field, creating space for a new more balanced and healthier you. The process can be kept simple, with only four tools:
- A bundle of white sage – representing EARTH
- An Abalone seashell – representing WATER – for catching ash from the sage bundle
- A feather or feather fan – representing AIR
- And FIRE for lighting the sage
Creating a living space with less negative energy is important, but don’t forget to venture outside. Reconnecting to nature while you retreat into a place of stillness, with fewer people, less electromagnetic pollution and no media, can help you open up to the natural flow of the Universe. It gets you to disconnect from your regular pace of life, so you are more in tune with yourself.
When getting out is not an option, consider creating a quiet space where you can retreat during times of introspection and reduce electromagnetic pollution in your home. (See: 7 Ways To Reduce Electrical Pollution In Your Home or Office for ideas)
6. Practice Authentic Meditation
Meditation starts with a short daily practice that for some of us means just relaxing our mind or sitting still. The more meditation one does, the more cosmic energy one receives – this energy will flow through the entire mind/body/spirit of the True Self. With consistency, a meditation practice blossoms into longer and longer stretches with less and less thought, where we become open to the insights of the Universe and gain clarity that enriches our lives.
Here are some practical meditation ideas: 5 Meaningful Methods of Meditation
The process of bringing more cosmic energy into your life will harmonize and balance your connection with the Tao. This is a fundamental relationship and interaction in all of our lives. It is up to us to decide how deeply we want to benefit from this relationship and if we are ready to expand our awareness of it.
Read more articles by Anna Hunt.
About the Author
Anna Hunt is writer, yoga instructor, mother of three, and lover of healthy food. She’s the founder of Awareness Junkie, an online community paving the way for better health and personal transformation. She’s also the co-editor at Waking Times, where she writes about optimal health and wellness. Anna spent 6 years in Costa Rica as a teacher of Hatha and therapeutic yoga. She now teaches at Asheville Yoga Center and is pursuing her Yoga Therapy certification. During her free time, you’ll find her on the mat or in the kitchen, creating new kid-friendly superfood recipes.
This article was originally created and published by Waking Times and is published here under a Creative Commons license with attribution to Anna Hunt and WakingTimes.com. It may be re-posted freely with proper attribution, author bio, and this copyright statement.
Disclaimer: This article is not intended to provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of WakingTimes or its staff.