By February 11, 2013 12 Comments Read More →

Chiron – Shaman of the Skies

Linda George, Contributing Writer

I talked in ‘Living in an Ensouled Universe’ about the energetic imprint we each receive from the stars (shorthand for Sun, Moon and planets) at our birth, by way of electromagnetic energy affecting our energy fields. As well as our unique natal pattern of cosmic energy, we are each participants in the moving feast of energies impacting our Earth’s field – and thus experiencing life here, now, as a collective. We are all, our planet and ourselves involved in an evolutionary journey – and it is an evolution of consciousness.

Chiron, discovered in 1977 between Saturn and Uranus and named after the centaur of Greek mythology – the half man, half horse, ‘wounded healer’ – is an interesting player on the astrological stage and one worth meditating on in these chaotic times in which we find ourselves. In the myth, Chiron was wounded by Hercules by accident and could not heal his wound. He went on to use his own wounding to help heal others. The congruence with which Chiron, the celestial body, was named and the subsequent empirical observation of its ‘effects’ – as an agent of both wounding and healing (individually and collectively) – is quite extraordinary. But then, there are no accidents.

The astronomical universe tells the story of human consciousness. Each ‘new discovery’ in the heavens, we have come to realize, signifies the opening of a new portal of awareness within our consciousness. ‘Events’ – the outward manifestation of inner openings in awareness, begin to occur in the material world. Life in this realm shifts, and personally and collectively we all dance to the same synchronistic beat.

When Chiron was discovered, in November 1977, the opening that occurred constellated, as mentioned, around the theme of wounding and healing. Holistic healing, alternative healing, Shamanism, and a massive re-invigoration of personal responsibility in the arena of health and healing, burst onto the scene. We became interested in the mind/body connection and the impact of our thoughts, beliefs and emotions, as well as our dietary and lifestyle choices, on our physical health. Obviously this knowledge, or awareness, was nothing new, with herbalism, naturopathy and Shamanism being ancient arts. But what Chiron did, was bring this awareness out of the shadows and into the everyday lives of ordinary people. (These things take a while). Chiron’s emergence signified a new beginning in the healing of the self and the Soul.

Chiron’s orbit allows it to criss-cross with the orbits of Saturn and Uranus, creating a bridge of
‘orbital harmonic resonances’ between Saturn’s frequency: fear, limitation, control, authority, rigidity – the world of matter, and Uranus’ frequency: revolution, change, freedom – awakening from the illusion – the world of spirit. Chiron’s mission appears then to be about a process of healing the rift in our consciousness that these two, very different vibrational energies have evoked – somehow integrating both – matter and spirit.

Chiron comes from the Kuiper Belt – the depths of space beyond Pluto – to sojourn in our system. Pluto symbolizes the shadow or the underworld; it speaks of those forces in the invisible that bring about life – and then take it away – through processes of transformation. Pluto is the blood and guts of life: heart-wrenching, soul destroying annihilation, destruction and upheaval, and unspeakable acts of breath-taking intensity – sex, birth, death, rebirth, as well as raw, naked honesty. Pluto unerringly brings up all our bullshit to be expunged, sooner or later. Chiron has come into our consciousness from beyond Pluto. He comes from the ‘underworld’ of outer space – as an emissary of the forces of transformation, to affect the healing of our inner space. All the centaurs (others have been discovered since Chiron) symbolize an energy that activates healing by bringing our attention to our ‘unknowns’ and our ‘unspeakables’ – the domain of the unconscious or the shadow. We are all wounded – physically, mentally, emotionally – because we have all had experiences of something being wrong or missing, painful, traumatic, unjust, or of violation and betrayal…….if not in this life, then in former existences. And these are the wounds we gave birth to heal. But not only do we have individual wounds, we have also inherited collective wounds…..

What, then, is Chiron’s purpose or message, in the collective consciousness? Chiron astrologer Martin Lass says there is a native American prophecy which states that when the ‘planet of healing’ is discovered in the sky, the ancient sacred warrior teachings will return to Earth. ……. With the discovery of Chiron, then, we are witnessing (are we not?) a return to a knowledge system held by many ancient indigenous and Shamanistic cultures. We are seeing the re-emergence of a worldview that has been banished from our Western culture at least – one wherein the Soul is central.

The Shaman represents a bridge, from one world or reality, to another. The Shaman is one who has made his own journey of wounding and return. He is in tune with nature and the pre-rational and pre-cognitive states needed to access the non-physical dimensions. With his healing, he has returned to help others make the mythic journey to the instinctual underworld of the Soul. The Shaman is involved in the work of Soul retrieval – bringing fragmented parts of the self back together – healing the rifts of duality. Chiron, named for the wounded healer, and known as the ‘Shaman of the skies’ is involved in healing the fragmentation of spirit and matter – healing the rifts of duality.

Chiron takes many years to move through a single zodiacal sign. As it transits a sign, it signifies a process that engages the collective as a whole. The process is themed on the particular sign Chiron is transiting. In Pisces now, we are witnessing an echo of the last time Chiron was in this sign – the 60’s. That decade brought chaos, crisis and upheaval, along with the love, unity and cohesion. This was the decade that brought the word consciousness into our consciousness. People were experimenting with altered states and other means of breaking down the boundaries to reconnect with the One (or Spirit). The chaos was about the resistance or ignore-ance within our culture – to this Oneness – to Spirit. Soul, the interface of spirit and the individual, too long sacrificed on the altar of ego and materialism (duality) was breaking through. Resistance created crisis, which is nature’s way of breaking it down, or blowing it apart. Creating healing crises is Chiron’s work.

The divisiveness that is so rampant in our culture is crying out to be healed – and here we have Chiron in Pisces – literally tailor-made for the job. Breaking down the divisions of race, class, economic status, age, gender, nationality – is Pisces forte. Boundaries dissolve under Pisces/Neptune’s influence, and we saw this happening when Chiron last transited the sign of the fish. Logically, because boundaries create pain and wounding – and in order to be healed – we must first become aware of the places we are wounded. Chiron instigated the push to healing by bringing our wounds up into our consciousness – from the shadowy realms of our collective memory.

Chiron, as illuminator of our wounds (essentially the wound of our incarnation), now in Pisces again, has the intent of opening our awareness to ‘Oneness’ – again. Will we get it right this time? Pisces is a ‘spiritual’ sign, and with its ruler Neptune, it urges us to transcend the boundaries and limitations which create the illusion of separation. To go there, we need to break the shell of the ego. Chiron in Pisces is asking us to merge, unify, connect, dissolve the boundaries that stand between us and the divine, and us and each other. When boundaries break down, consciousness is liberated and the limitations of normal perception are expanded.

The timeliness of Chiron, the Shaman of the Skies, now in Pisces until 2019, is telling us: the work of integration has begun. It’s time to heal our fragmentation, to become dis-illusioned (we have been thoroughly illusioned) with duality and the pain of severance from our Souls. The ancient, sacred warrior teachings have returned to Earth. Our task is to integrate the two aspects of our nature – spirit and matter……and in doing so, rediscover the ensoulment of our world.

Linda George is an writer and astrologer living in New Zealand. She has been deeply involved in astrology, alternative health, spirituality and metaphysics for decades. She has a background in journalism is currently committed to joining with others in ‘spreading the word’ in these waking times. Linda works as an evolutionary astrologer, writer and yoga teacher. Her last book ‘Sun Signs and Soul Mates’ is available on Amazon.

12 Comments on "Chiron – Shaman of the Skies"

1. Interesting article, so glad to see this sort of thing in your publication. An astrologer myself, I began my studies in 1970 and saw the revolution that Chiron brought to astrology as well as to general consciousness. There are a few things I would note: While it is easy to dismiss Saturn as primarily about fear, limitation, burdens and such like, Saturn is also about boundaries (as a good Gemini friend says, boundaries are our friends!), self-discipline, and the societal structures that enable societies to function in an orderly fashion. Uranus, meanwhile, can mean chaos and anarchy, willfulness and disregard of others’ rights in the pursuit of one’s freedom. It is all about balance, and I often think of Chiron as the one who eaches us balance between these two principles. Shamans know the power that comes from slef-discipline, it is an important part of their training. Also as regards Chiron’s travel through Pisces– it is important to note that while Chiron transited Pisces in the 60s he made important aspects to Saturn (being conjunct Saturn for part of that time), Uranus in Virgo (opposition) and Pluto in Virgo– and for some of that time all of these planets were aspecting each other– this brought about some of the most intense and distructive- as well as the most creative– of transformations that our planet experienced at that time. Currently Chiron has been conjunct Neptune, Pisces’ own ruler, since before it entered Pisces, and the destruction to the oceans, not to mention the issues we face regarding gas and oil development and the pollution it is causing, is a truly Piecean expression of the shamanic wounding of our Mother Earth and the need for healing Her.

• Linda says:

Thanks very much Bekki. Yes, of course, there is always the ‘other side’. Saturn IS about boundaries definitely……it is difficult in an article of this length to honour ALL aspects under discussion. So thank you for pointing this out. I’ve spent many years trying to put a positive spin on Saturn, and of course – we need discipline, structure, boundaries etc…….but for all that, our essential nature, being infinite consciousness does seem to struggle with the material world. Often the control that comes with discipline is another guise for fear. But yes, I agree with you – we must acknowledge the seemingly more positive side of Saturn. And yes, the aspects Chiron made during the 60’s – thank you. Uranus-Pluto, of course, began their dialogue in the conjunction – and we are now experiencing the dynamism of their relationship in the square. Yet another pertinent discussion that could have been included. Thanks for the feedback – much appreciated.

2. Halderon says:

You have not even a scintilla of evidence that anything that you say is true. People like you have set civilization back and kept it from going forward. At one time, you influenced critical thinking which kept our science back into superstitious mumbo-jumbo. Had it not for your silliness we might have been sailing thru time and space by now, but you ruled the world with junk-science. Pluto as God of the underworld! It’s a rock of ice in orbit around a sun-but you find frequencies manifesting themselves from these rocks. What sort of receivers do you have? I can’t even bring in Chicago,and your listening to planets. No, you have been relegated to writing articles for newspapers-seeing the future for all in your charts. Such foresight should have been used to better yourselves.

3. Halderon says:

When Columbus discovered America, he found some delight full indigenous Natives who had no idea that there was a world out there beyond their oceans. When his diaries were found it was obvious that he considered these people to be subhuman. He and his men took turns shooting them as they ran. He bragged about never getting wet when going ashore-that was because he had the Indians carry him. Since they seemed so docile, he thought that they would make good slaves. So he returned with 200 of them-20 lived, but this set up a trade slave operation. Oh,he did give the Indians S.T.D.’s that remained,and the estimate of those Indians showed millions had died because they had no resistance. 9 million were dead. Bur the people of England and Spain had lived under Catholic rule for so long-but wait! The Indians didn’t fit into the Biblical stories that they had been told. This set up the Protestant Revolution in 1508. The adage “the truth will set you free” proved to be true! Now, I just told you the truth in the preceding paragraph but it doesn’t fit in,so I wait for confirmation as it would have been better if I heard Pluto signing>but I didn’t-and I don’t compromise with the truth. If you do, this is not a place for reason-it remains the same as Astrologers want-a carnival to share delusions and a way to seperate good people from their money,and I will have nothing to do with that.32yrs. in Law Enforcement taught me compassion.

• Linda says:

Well! – that’s quite bit to reply to Halderon. Mind if I confine myself to your first post? How do we define ‘evidence?’ The measurements science uses are constantly evolving – as knowledge expands (not so far back scientists believe the Earth was the center of the universe). Thus, a system (which science is) cannot measure, test, prove, anything that transcends the limits of its ability TO measure, test, prove. So if it is scientific evidence you are looking for – you may have to wait a while. Astrology has however, been ‘validated’ by empirical observation. In other words, the ‘effects’ of celestial bodies have been ‘measured’ by hearts and minds capable of connecting dots. I love your line ‘….we might have been sailing through time and space by now.’ …. But our ‘silliness?’ is the reason we are not?? I thought we were doing just that – so poetically put – sailing through time and space. We’ve never been doing anything else, while we’ve been on the the planet. Ah, but once we off it – time and space, the firewall, become irrelevant, non-existent. So how have astrology’s silly adherents interfered with this? You might like to do some research on the great minds through history who have been followers of the star logos. Far from silly – they were brilliant, forward thinkers, mystics, inventors……Astrology was the father/mother of astronomy. Science came later still. People who intuit the significance of astrology, have a feel for the mystery. Without this – then yes, Pluto is just a lump of ice and rock. With it – Pluto the planet, is the physical manifestation of a metaphysical energy that penetrates and permeates the human psyche – and the electromagnetic energy fields that we exist within. Energy that even science, with all its limitations, acknowledges the existence of. Lastly, the most importantly, please keep this in mind: BELIEFS ARE REALITY FILTERS. Open minds don’t BELIEVE anything. They are curious, they observe, they make connections – and they are free to change their ideas when new information comes to light. Holding to fixed beliefs, (as many in the scientific world seem to) – is a guaranteed way to stay stuck in a position and close the door to understanding life. Enough! Thanks for taking the time to comment. That’s the point really. My words are simply an invitation to think about something……and perhaps – to entertain some new ideas. All the best.

• zen shaman says:

32 years in law enforcement taught you compassion? ok.

4. Jean Raffa says:

A friend sent me the link to this fascinating article and I received a huge “Aha!” when I read it. In the 1980’s a combination of inner and outer events brought me to a profound “dark night of the soul” experience. While I functioned normally in the outer world, in my inner life I was in anguish. As I questioned all the “givens” of my upbringing, including my traditional spiritual beliefs,I would occasionally lapse into an active imagination scenario in which I was living alone and miserable in a lovely 4-sided enclosed garden with no way out. Then a centaur would appear and walk up to me. I’d get on his back and he’d leap over the high walls and we’d fly off to an unknown place. At the time I didn’t know what to make of this fantasy or how to end it, but as the years went by I began to realize that my dark night experience was about acquiring wisdom and healing. After 9 years I knew I was not living my passion so I quit my job as a college professor and wrote the book I knew was in me. It has been followed by two more, all three based on Jungian psychology. My most recent, Healing the Sacred Divide, is about how we evolve into increased consciousness by integrating and healing the opposites in ourselves and society. I didn’t know until I read this article that Chiron was considered a wounded healer, the Shaman of the Skies, but I did know that the effect of my dark night was to turn me into a wounded healer of sorts.

Whether or not I believe in astrology is utterly irrelevant. Like you, I’m not interested in beliefs. The point is that there is a deeply meaningful connection between the symbols and imagery of my inner experience and the stellar events of that time, and that by taking my inner life seriously I was awakened into a life path that has brought me deep joy and satisfaction. Thank you for this article. It strengthens my sense of being connected to all that is and reminds me, as do all such synchronicities that I experience on a regular basis, that my life has meaning and I am known and loved.

• Linda says:

Jean thank you for your post – I got ‘truth bumps’ reading it….. What a profound experience you had with Chiron… WOW – amazing – sometimes the symbolism is THAT clear. The parallel between the ‘external’ significator (the celestial body – in this case Chiron) and the internal experience is breathtaking. You couldn’t make this stuff up!! I’m wondering how old you were at the time? Whether it was your Chiron return or not (50-51) you were, I would say, going through a significant Chiron transit. I would LOVE to read your books – can you tell me where they are available? Thanks so much for writing – it IS wonderful to know how connected we all really are…to the cosmos, and to each other. Best wishes..

• Jean Raffa says:

Hi Linda,

No, you can’t make this stuff up. I was 37 when it started and 46 when I finally knew it was over and started writing. I don’t know what a Chiron return is???

Thank you for your interest in my books. If you read them I hope you’ll let me know what you think! I started The Bridge to Wholeness: A Feminine Alternative to the Hero Myth at the age of 47 and it was published when I was 49; Dream Theatres of the Soul: Empowering the Feminine Through Jungian Dream Work was published when I was 51. I was 69 when Healing the Sacred Divide: Making Peace with Ourselves, Each Other, and the World came out! The big 70 is coming up in April! You can get all three from Amazon. My author page is under Jean Benedict Raffa. I also write a blog titled Matrignosis in which I discuss issues about thinking psychologically and living spiritually.

I, too love the connections! I’m very glad to have found your article!

Jeanie

5. Linda says:

Hi Jean,the publication of your first, and your second books occurred during your Chiron Return. What a powerful way to use that energy! Chiron Return (around 50-51) means Chiron has returned to the degree it occupied at your birth. It is very much a rite of passage time – in which one chapter often closes and another opens. You also had your Uranus opposition – another very significant transit, prior to your Chiron Return – setting scene for the ‘big change’…… Lots more to say – I would recommend Melanie Reinhart’s book ‘Chiron’. Which of your books would you suggest I read first?? Exciting to have connected! Thank you! Let’s stay in touch.