Just How Toxic Are We?
Christina Sarich, Staff Writer
Bathing in untainted waters is just one way to detox naturally.Most of us know by now that we live in a highly polluted world. We have come far from the days of living in an Edenic paradise, where all our needs were provided by nature, and this is due, in part, to our hell-making pollution of the world with toxins from war, and consumerism, including toxins made by nuclear energy and weapons, as evidenced by the latest Fukushima disaster, but also through toxic chemicals like Agent Orange prevalently used during the Vietnam War, but that Monsanto and companies like them now have free reign to use again due to the recent bill that passed through both the Congress and Senate, and was signed by President Obama.
We have polluted countries like Iraq so badly, due to the depleted uranium from bombing and the effluent from military-industrial materials, as well as radioactive wastes that leak from military vehicles and tanks, that the country’s cancer rates are doubling.
We have also polluted our world through consumerism. From asbestos used in buildings to chemicals like fluoride and chlorine, which are put in our water, we have polluted our paradise. Tar from cigarettes (even if you don’t smoke) and the off gasing of literally hundreds of other chemicals in our cleaning products, shampoos, and body lotions is also making our world and our bodies toxic.
We are a world gone crazy, literally, with mold toxicity causing schizophrenia, and heavy metals like mercury causing depression. What people may not realize is that eating organic is great, but until we cleanse the body of its highly toxic environment, putting some leafy greens into our diets just won’t be enough. We need to purge these toxins from our bodies using cleanses, baths, purgatories and the host of other practices utilized by shamans, priests and tribal elders in every corner of the world since before there was a modern-day version of a toxic waste dump on our green and blue marble in space.
Consider These Startling Facts:
- The EPA, considered a joke by most naturalists by now, admits that widespread use of chemical fertilizers is harmful. Tell us something we don’t already know!
- According to many experts, there are more than 85,000 different toxic chemicals in our environment today – prevalent in the water, air, and soil.
- Chemicals are causing our children to develop mental disorders, and are lowering our collective IQ. Instead of getting smarter, we are getting dumbed-down by toxicity.
- Even the products we use to clean our bodies and our homes are causing cancer.
Are You Recycling Your Own Toxins?
The body is so brilliant that it can get rid of most of the things that aren’t supposed to be inside it – from heavy metals to a foreign substance like a virus, but when it becomes overly polluted, and can’t get rid of toxins through its normal channels of elimination (the bile, the blood, the urine, the feces, the skin, etc.) then it will keep trying to recycle the substance trying to purify it, over and over again.
A Russian scientists and naturopath named Eli Metchnikof found this to be true in a study in 1904. Our body naturally wants to purge what doesn’t belong, but our environment has made us so polluted the body often can’t do the job of detoxifying on its own without some help. If all the systems of the body aren’t working to expel toxins, then you are likely extremely toxic, and if you haven’t developed a life-threatening disease already, it is a matter of time, if you don’t take radical responsibility for your own health. The government has certainly proven they don’t care if you live or die.
What Can I Do To Detoxify?
Fortunately, there are inexpensive ways to start to cleanse the skin, lungs, liver, kidneys, bowels and even the cells, but it starts with realizing we are toxic. It’s the world we live in.
- Start by throwing out all the toxic cleaners we use to spruce up our homes. Turn to vinegar, baking soda and citrus, particularly lemon juice, and sunlight. These four items can clean our houses (and sometimes us) from top to bottom without causing depression, hormone disruption, cancer, and a host of other diseases caused by the carcinogenic and toxic substances in household cleaners, like diethanolamine (DEA) and triethanolamine (TEA) just to start.
- Fast. Most of us don’t want to skip even a single meal, but just taking one day off form eating to allow the body to purge toxins stored in fatty tissue can make a world of difference. Fasting has been practiced by different cultures and religions around the world for centuries as an effective way to detoxify.
- Drink more water. Many toxins are water soluble, so if you drink clean, purified water, you can help to remove them. Just make sure you aren’t drinking unpurified municipal water, it is often full of hundreds of toxins.
- Bathe in hot then cold water. Bathing in the ocean was practiced by the Kumu Hula (master teachers) as a means of purification, but not everyone has ocean front property, so bathing is a great purification ritual. It is also practiced all over Japan, Turkey, India, Africa, and Australia, just to name a few countries with bathing purification traditions or rituals. Bathing in first hot water, expands the blood vessels, and helps the ‘brown’ fat cells work more efficiently to reduce fat and toxins from the body. The cold water allows multiple dips, and also allows us to remain in the hot water longer. If you live near a hot springs or untainted, natural underground water source, many of these pools have excellent nutrients in them, which help to draw toxins out of the body. Also, just warming the body improves the lymph system and immune function. Epson salt baths can help if you don’t have a natural hot springs or the Dead Sea near you (but even the Dead Sea is becoming toxic!)
- Try one of the myriad natural cleansing products available on the market today. There are lots of products that are affordable and help to cleanse everything from the bowels to the liver. One example of a natural cleansing program is the Isagenix 9 Day Cleanse, which helps to support the body’s natural detoxification pathways, this page has further information on Isagenix products.
- Eat Detoxifying Foods. You can detoxify with green tea, coffee enemas, and cilantro even. Turmeric is great for detoxifying the body, as is sour sop fruit. Apple Cider Vinegar is wonderful and so is lemon juice and ginger.
Even though companies like Monsanto and the military industrial complex want to keep poisoning us, we can detox with some simple remedies to make living a healthy life more probable in an overly polluted world. We may not be living in paradise, but we can still treat our bodies as temples, and purify them of the spoils of war and a fast food, pharmaceutical empire.
About the Author
Christina Sarich is a musician, yogi, humanitarian and freelance writer who channels many hours of studying Lao Tzu, Paramahansa Yogananda, Rob Brezny, Miles Davis, and Tom Robbins into interesting tidbits to help you Wake up Your Sleepy Little Head, and See the Big Picture. Her blog is Yoga for the New World. Her latest book is Pharma Sutra: Healing the Body And Mind Through the Art of Yoga.
This article originally appeared at Conscious Life News.
This article is offered under Creative Commons license. It’s okay to republish it anywhere as long as attribution bio is included and all links remain intact.
~~ Help Waking Times to raise the vibration by sharing this article with the buttons below…