Dr. Stewart Bitkoff, Contributor
In order to affect a great work, there must be the combining of factors or a confluence of essences. For the spiritual traveler to reach completion, and assume an active role in their own higher destiny and the higher destiny of the universe, this process involves an interaction between student, teacher and Path.
This confluence is fundamental to the journey and is held together by the grace of the Path. In order for the spiritual traveler to complete their own great work, identified below are some of the key concepts that require understanding and coming together.
Individual Spiritual Destiny
Man is the meeting point between heaven and earth and is created with a spiritual destiny. Within each person there is the capacity to create, make decisions and destroy. These aspects or abilities reflect Higher attributes and man’s birth right is to rule a vast, personal spiritual kingdom.
In the journey to unlock one’s inner potential there are many roads, paths and experiences. Learning occurs on a conscious and subconscious level, often simultaneously. Some lessons are spiritual and others physical, emotional or what is commonly termed mental. Fundamentally, man is a being of conscious energy and must learn to harness this energy or consciousness to reach full potential.
Then according to Plan, a teacher arrives and the individual embraces the missing element- spiritual learning. In time and according to design, this interaction alchemizes the soul and consciousness; and the individual learns to reach higher becoming a fully conscious participant in their own destiny and life.
Humanity is evolving to a higher state of consciousness. This is both individual and collective – as a race of people. This evolution is purposeful and guided so it may be attained.
To help safeguard this Plan there is a hierarchy of servants and teachers who work on many levels. Collectively humanity has a potential and destiny. Many of the holy books speak about this potential. These references are part allegorical and part literal.
In the Plan, each person or soul has a distinctive role. In part, that is what this life is about. To figure out how you fit into the world, using your physical, mental, and spiritual potential. The world needs good people who are doing what they can to make things work for themselves and others.
In each day, there are many opportunities to reach higher and fulfill your individual destiny or plan. Simply ask yourself before doing something that you are uncertain about, if this action will bring you closer or further you from your own higher destiny and the Source. Learn to wait for an answer. You can do this. Slowly you will begin to hear your own inner capacity. Follow this inner voice. This inner voice and its wisdom are aligned with the higher destiny of the universe.
Within the universe, there is a life giving and creative energy. This energy permeates all of the worlds, dimensions and creations. Some people call this energy the life force, the Logos, the Holy Spirit, God, or the Source.
Deity extends a part of itself into the world of forms. Deity is uncreated and has created the universe, in part to express itself and share the creation. Each of us has a small piece, or spark of this aspect within. This is the center, or heart of our soul and has its own creative potential. This potential or aspect is used daily, in part to help create our physical body, our awareness and the world we live in.
According to tradition, since the very beginning, individuals have been given the responsibility of guarding and directing this multi-level energy. Daily it is projected into this realm, accompanied by ideas and influences. In part, this force is a nutrient, it enables and without which our world would cease to exist.
This force and The Teaching are the same. The Teaching is an aspect of this wonderful life giving and loving energy. During the course of study, the spiritual traveler learns to become one with this energy and use this life force.
The guardians and servants of this energy and Path are the living teachers. They exist in all traditions and walks of life. In our time, we are experiencing a more public exploration and general inquiry into the meaning of spiritual science. There is genuine spiritual gold and we all have a piece or aspect of this treasure within our self.
What the Teacher Provides
Each person’s journey is individual and on an inner level collective. Meaning that the sequence of learning experiences varies according to the person, the time, and their higher not emotional needs. This sequence is established by the Teaching, the teacher and the Path. It is a sequence that originates from another dimension, has baraka or grace attached to it and operates within its own rules.
- Spiritual Initiation & Placement on The Path. The role of the living teacher, or exemplar, is multi-level, diverse and integral to the student’s progress; through guided instruction, the teacher helps the student fulfill their individual destiny. Spiritually, the teacher links the student, The Teaching and the Path. It is the teacher who initially ‘caresses’ the student through baraka and sets the student’s heart aglow with the Light of the Universe. In this process, the student’s inner spark is reenergized and the student perceives the nature of the journey and embraces the spiritual Path before them.
- Levels & Mastery of Consciousness. It is the teacher that displays to the student the many levels to their individual thoughts and consciousness. Gradually, the teacher shows the student how to travel to the many parts of themselves and travel inward, finding and expressing their own divine spark.
In order to travel inward, the student must learn to unravel their repeating daily thoughts and emotions. For the spiritual traveler, consciousness being defined as thought, awareness and directed energy from mind. Mind being that part of the soul that is intelligent and governing. Our body and its energy are creative extensions of this awareness. This is the complex maze, the teacher shows the student how to master.
- Individual Learning. Over time and with the teacher’s guidance the student learns to master and use their consciousness to create a more complete life that fulfills their spiritual potential and destiny. This is done through a series of guided spiritual exercises, learning experiences, and interactions with other students. Because the teacher is able to perceive spiritually what the student requires, this learning experience is individual and based upon the student’s emerging life plan.
- Spiritual Maturity & Independence. It has been written, that the only requirement in a teacher is that, ‘the teacher has everything the student needs.’ This skill set and inner awareness is used to prescribe an individual course of study designed to help the student reach full multi-level capacity and spiritual maturity. After the student has worked with the teacher for a period of time and reached the point where they can manage their own learning, the student is released into the world; mature and able to connect with the Source, without the teacher’s guidance. It is through this added capacity, that the traveler can now direct their own personal spiritual destiny.
He/she is Master
Who reigns Supreme
In their own Kingdom.
About the Author
Dr. Stewart Bitkoff, spiritual traveler, poet, is a student of Sufi Mysticism and the perennial philosophy. Professionally specializing in the healing applications of therapeutic recreation, psychiatric rehabilitation and mental health treatment; he holds a doctorate in education and served on the faculties of multiple colleges and universities.
Stewart is also the author of Sufism for the Western Seeker, published in 2011, was nominated by ‘Foreword Magazine’ for Adult Non Fiction Religious Book of Year Book of the Year Award, placing 4th (honorable mention) and is a must read, as well as The Ferryman’s Dream. Both books are also in Kindle format and available on Amazon.com or local bookstore.
Register for an upcoming retreat weekend with Dr. Steward Bitkoff atop Bangor Mountain, in the beautiful Pocono Mountains, Kirkridge Retreat Center on Sufism & Enlightenment, May 30- June I, 2014. For information is available here: http://kirkridge.org/programs/upcoming-programs/ – click on Detailed Information for full program highlights.
* These sections first appeared in my book entitled: A Commuter’s Guide to Enlightenment, Llewellyn, 2008; and help describe switching attention from one attitude to another and acquiring the right attitude for spiritual learning. These techniques and examples are offered within the context of a daily commute to work, and are useful in many other areas of daily life.
This article is offered under Creative Commons license. It’s okay to republish it anywhere as long as attribution bio is included and all links remain intact.
~~ Help Waking Times to raise the vibration by sharing this article with the buttons below…